Here are the steps to get started in pyside:
1. Download and install python 2.7 from here: http://www.python.org/download/
exact URL used by me: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7/python-2.7.msi
pyside doesn't support python 3.x yet.
2. After that add the python path to the environmental variables in the windows. If we run python in command window, we should get the following result to confirm python is installed correctly :
Python 2.7 (r27:82525, Jul 4 2010, 09:01:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
3. download pyside and install it. I used the windows binary for python 2.7 from here: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki/PySideBinariesWindows
Direct URL to download this: http://www.pyside.org/files/pkg/PySide-0.4.2qt47.win32-py2.7.exe
3.a. In ubuntu linux(version 10.04 & 10.10) pyside can be installed using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pyside
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-pyside
4.After its done, run the following hello world python script:
from PySide import QtCore, QtGui
app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
win = QtGui.QWidget()
If you are able to get a window launched, then it confirms that you have pyside installed in your system and ready to explore pyside in detail.
6. optional- Once you have learned the basics, you might want to take advantage of the Qt tools like Qt Designer to speed up your development. Those tools are available as part of the Qt SDK download. You can download Qt SDK for windows from here:
7. Optional - You can speed up your Pyside learning by following the examples given in pyside website.
You can download the examples package from this URL: http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside/pyside-examples/archive-tarball/master